The first thing people usually want to know about me is how to properly pronounce my name and its meaning. My name is pronounced just like “sofa” but with a “ch-” in front…Chaufa. My mom says she came up with my name, but according to google it existed long before and means spanish fried rice!! 😛 It’s fantastic when I meet people from Spain who are in disbelief when they read my name tag. It’s a reaction I will never get old of. My favourite is when they tell me, “oh we love eating Chaufa! It’s so good!”. People who are close to me never call me Chaufa. Calling me by my first name has the same effect as calling someone by their full name. Friends and family know me as Chauf, Chaufie, Chu Chu, or Cho, and that is how I like it.
The three things I love most?
FFF. Family. Friends. Food. Enough said.
Things I do when I’m alone?
- Read books in my rocking chair – I am very interested in psychology, yoga, the Dalai Lama, and self-help books.
- Watch episodes of Cutthroat Kitchen, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, Chopped, and Guy’s Grocery Games.
- Search Netflix for the latest documentaries. I am a documentary fanatic. I will watch just about any documentary on any topic.
- Write in my journal, which will now be translated to something appropriate for my blog 🙂
- Practice Bikram Yoga. It is the one form of exercise that gives me a sense of internal peace and happiness during and after a class.
- Organize my life. I swear by living with a paper agenda- an old school one where you use a pen to write down your schedule for the week. My brown Coach agenda is just as important to me as my cellphone. Without it I don’t know what my week looks like. There is something very calming about scheduling your errands, appointments, and plans. And then highlighting them in bright pink when complete..that is the most rewarding part! 🙂
Anything from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Spice Girls, Nsync, Faded, Ginuwine, Mariah Carey, J. Lo, 112, Boyz 2 Men, Destinys Child, Fabulous, Ludacris, Nelly, and all the other artists who were better back in the 90’s.
Quotes I live by?
- If it’s not uncomfortable, there is no change happening – Chauf
- Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind – Dr.Seuss
- LIFE IS SHORT. Live your dream and wear your passion.
- Going up is hard, because giving up is easier – Chauf
- Successful people replace the words ‘wish’ ‘should’ and ‘try’ with ‘I WILL’. Go after what you want with no fear, hesitation, and expectation – Unknown
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit – Aristotle
- The best way out is always through – Chauf
- Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out – John Wooden
My last meal on earth?
It use to be an order of White Spot’s chicken strips with fries and coleslaw, and their sweet honey mustard sauce for dipping. Oh and a coke to drink! Now since I have gone vegan, I would say the stuffed portobello mushroom I had at The Picnic House in Portland, Oregon. So hearty, sweet, savory, decadent, and comforting. Just absolutely perfect. Oh and of course a coke to drink!
Why is my blog important?
The Natural Pursuits documents my journey on a vegan diet in the attempts to reverse my chronic disease, Lupus. I would have never imagined myself sharing my story with people, because it is so personal to me. However, I feel as though overcoming my insecurities and fears to hopefully inspire others to help themselves, outweighs any internal struggle. My blog is a way for me to give to those looking for support and a sense of hope. If my words inspire you, instill hope, or stir up any emotion inside of you – I have done my job.